Crowns and Bridges in Southport
Dental Crowns & Bridges
Southport Park Family Dental
Dental Crowns and Bridges
Although the outside of each tooth is made of strong and hard enamel, teeth can be chipped, broken, or weakened. An artificial crown is often the best way to save a tooth and strengthen it. The crown fits over the prepared existing tooth and replaces the natural crown.
A bridge can be an excellent option to replace a missing tooth. A crown is made and placed onto the teeth on either side of the gap, with a bonded tooth in the middle. A bridge can be a great option if the adjacent teeth to the gap are heavily filled or broken, as three teeth are fixed in one go.
All general practitioner dentists are qualified to fit crowns and bridges.
What are Dental Crowns Made From?
The dental crowns made at Southport Park Family Dental are made from ceramic or zirconia which is a white metal.
How Do You Know If You Need a Crown or Bridge?
Based on you dental and medical history, x-ray examinations of your teeth and jaw, and an oral examination, your dentist will recommend the treatment that is best for you.
Often a dental crown can be recommended for broken or severely damaged tooth, a cracked tooth, a tooth with significant decay, a tooth with a large filling, following a root canal treatment or possibly for cosmetic reason.
How Many Appointments Are Required?
At Southport Park Family Dental we are able to complete most crowns on the same day in one appointment. In some cases, two appointments may be needed for the preparation and fitting of the crown or bridge.
Preparation for Dental Crown Over Two Appointments
- Prior to the dentist creating the crown or bridge, they will take an impression of your teeth to make a permanent record of their appearance and how they fit together, when your jaws are closed.
- The dentist will administer a local anaesthetic to numb the area prior to treatment.
- The tooth is shaped to allow for enough space for the crown material
- A new impression is taken of the prepared tooth
- A temporary crown is created and put on to the prepared tooth for protection. The temporary crown is not as strong as the final one.
- At your second appointment the temporary crown is removed.
- The new crown is placed over the reshaped tooth to check that shape and colour match. If everything looks perfect, the crown is cemented/bonded to the tooth.
- After fitting, the crown should feel comfortable and natural in your mouth. The dentist will test your bite, so it is important to mention if it feels uncomfortable or strange.
- Minor adjustments are often needed to achieve comfort.
Preparation for Same Day Dental Crown
At Southport Park Family Dental we can complete most crowns on the same day! With new technology we can scan your teeth, design your crown, and fit it in all on the same day. This means that you only require one local anaesthetic and no need to have a temporary crown to be fitted.
Preparation for a Bridge
The preparations for a bridge are like those for a crown above, as it involves fitting a crown on the teeth on either side of the gap. This will generally require two appointments with the first appointment required to prepare the teeth and take impressions to be sent through to a lab. The lab then creates the bridge which has the crowns and replacement tooth in the middle which is then fitted as one piece at your next appointment with the dentist.
Hygiene and Care for your Dental Crown or Bridge
Crowns and bridges should last for many years. However, there is no lifetime guarantee. As with natural teeth, it depends on good dental hygiene, oral health and the forces you apply to your teeth. Dental crowns and bridges still require regular flossing and brushing and regular check-ups are advisable.